V2R Projects team member Patrik Olson recently spent a couple of weeks of leave to work at an orphanage run by the charity Gentle Hands in the Philippines.
Gentle Hands is a home for at-risk children in the Philippines that provides holistic therapeutic residential care and rehabilitation services to children who have been rescued from physical danger, are severely ill or have been abandoned or abused. There are currently 120 children in their centre and are opening their second centre by the end of October 2018.
Along with Patrik Olson volunteering his time and effort, V2R Projects were able to provide some support in tools and hardware for maintenance works assisted in carrying out.
The Construction work completed by the team assisted by Gentle Hands maintenance staff and the orphans (who were very keen to help) consisted of:
- Metro Manila Centre (120 children)
- Replaced most of the door locks (over 50) on the 4 story building including having sections of the building keyed alike
- Some of the doors required planning as they were binding, trimming the bottom of a door, adjusting hinges, moving striker plates and other repairs to the doors
- Demolishing an existing wall & door
- Constructing a new wall and re-using the demolished door & frame at a different location
- Installing a security camera system
- Bulacan Centre (when refurbishments are completed will accommodate approx. 80 Children)
- Construct shower and toilet partitions to the boys’ bathroom using marine grade ply painted with automotive paint
- Rectify issue with low & inconsistent mains water pressure to the building by
- Supply & install a new 2000L water tank at ground level
- Supply & install a new water pump at ground level to pump water to the existing 2000L tank on the roof
- Supply & install float switches to the two tanks
- Supply & install new water service from mains supply to tanks
- Supply & install electrical work for pump
- Maintenance on the internal & external lights including replacing tubes, bulbs & starters
- Replacing all the shower heads and hoses
- Servicing some of the water shut off valves
- Clean inside of the toilet cisterns
- Providing training to some of the local maintenance staff in the use of the cordless tools
Gentle Hands passed on the feedback that the supplies V2R provided allowed their team to do some much-needed construction work on their second centre in Bulacan and that the tools will also continue to be able to assist in ongoing maintenance and building projects.
V2R Projects welcomed the opportunity to provide further support to Patrik’s work for Gentle Hands. We hope these efforts can help in a small way to keep the great work Great Hands does in protecting vulnerable children.
To learn more about Gentle Hands visit https://gentlehandsorphanages.com